Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  personal injury and medical malpractice attorney
84496330

September 7, 2016- I was standing in a park adjacent to our

Customer Question

September 7, 2016- I was standing in a park adjacent to our apartment complex. I was speaking to fellow dog owners. Two midsize to large dogs were off leash playing running at top speed. I was watching to make sure I did not get clobbered as they were into their run. I already walk with a cane due to a bad back only to be knocked down by the two dogs. I went into the air and hit the ground. I heard one of the owners ask if it hurt as bad as it look? Was I ok? One of the owners said to the other to give their numbers. So one of them took my phone and she put her text information into my phone. She did not put the other person’s info in there as I noticed later. I do have back problems to begin with but this has only exacerbated the problem as a majority of my pain was to the left side but now the right is a little worst. I am unable to stand up right. I know I have to be in touch with the owners but not quite sure how to approach the subject. I have had to ramp up Physical Therapy but the pain is in no way subsiding. I think I need some legal advice hence my email.l.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com. What state are you from? Have the dogs injured anyone else to your knowledge?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
California. Not to my knowledge.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh and Hello Chris.

Hello, give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Had you replied again?

Drafting an answer, sorry got a phone call. I normally get my answers out a bit sooner. I apologize.

Normally a dog owner is liable for any wrongdoing caused by their animal, as they have a duty to control the animal. If you sue them, they may be held liable for the harm their dog caused you. You would likely argue that they were negligent in allowing their dog to escape and/or allowing their dog to roam without being on a leash. If your town has an ordinance that requires dogs to be on leashes, then your violation of that ordnance would support a finding of negligence. You should check with the city to see if there is such an ordinance as it will give your case more meat. If found to be negligent in this case, then they could be liable for any damages caused to you, including medical expenses and pain and suffering. You could first simply provide them with medical bills and an amount you expect to be compensated. You could being suit in small claims court if you cannot make an agreement or even retain an attorney to file suit if your damages are higher that would allow for that. To answer your question, gather all evidence as you do have a case for the damages the dos caused you.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you in advance.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?