Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My brother recently suffered a medical emergency-a ruptured

Customer Question

My brother recently suffered a medical emergency-a ruptured aortic aneurism. He miraculously survived the surgery, which lasted 6-8 hours. The surgeon said that had my brother's surgery been delayed just 2 more hours, he would have certainly died. My brother arrived at the hospital within a few hours of symptoms onset. It is our contention that, due to negligence/incompetence of the attending cardiologist, his condition was not diagnosed - and appropriate actions taken - until almost 24 hours after my brother's admission. This made the operation much riskier and lengthier, and prevented him from being able to airlifted to the local heart hospital (they concluded he would not survive the trip). Miraculously, my brother survived the trip, due to the skill of the surgeon (flown in from the heart hospital) and to my brother's good physical condition (marathon runner) and age (57). However, due to the lengthy surgery and long time on a bypass machine, there was some anoxic brain damage. As yet, he is unable to speak, and has partial paralysis on his left side, drooping face on his right side. He is still in ICU...we have no idea how he will respond to physical therapy when he gets out. He is a contract engineer and has affordable care coverage. We have no idea how many of his bills will be covered. Depending on his path, he may or may not ever be able to work again.
My questions: Do we have any basis for a medical negligence case against the attendant cardiologist/hospital? [I can provide more detail regarding this negligence; I left these details out in the interest of brevity]?
If yes, how would we find someone willing to take such a case? Would they take the case on "commission", as neither my brother, nor our family, have much money?
Thank you for your consideration of my questions.
DS
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your brother's difficulties.

Response 1: Unfortunately, I cannot make this determination within the confines of this forum. You would need to consult with a local Attorney who handles medical malpractice cases so that the Attorney would thorough review the information in the case and make a determination whether to pursue a legal malpractice case against the doctor and the hospital.

If yes, how would we find someone willing to take such a case?

Response 2: You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys who handle medical malpractice cases:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Would they take the case on "commission", as neither my brother, nor our family, have much money?

Response 3: Medical malpractice cases are handled on contingent fee basis. The Attorneys cannot take money upfront and would only get paid if they win the case.

Best wishes,