CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney with experience representing plaintiffs in personal injury matters.

I have a question regarding a personal trainer that caused a

Customer Question

I have a question regarding a personal trainer that caused a serious injury - aggravated an existing hernia & caused a 2nd hernia. I had surgery because of the trainer's action. I signed the contract that health clubs have you sign before personal training sessions. What are my options??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

While these blanket release forms are going to be the "frontline" defense that a gym or club will use to defend themselves from a personal injury claim, these releases do not completely relieve the gym or their staff from their obligation to exercise due care. If your trainer fell below the standard of care for the industry you can still pursue a personal injury claim (in most cases).

Personal injury claims are based on expert testimony, this means you, or your attorney, will need to find a medical expert to testify as to the cause of your injury. The same (or a different) expert can then testify as to your projected future damages and cost of medical care.

Due to the complexity of these claims, I highly recommend that you retain a plaintiff's lawyer (also called trial attorneys). Fortunately the majority of these attorneys will provide you with a free consultation, and many will represent you on a contingency basis (they will advance the costs of litigation and legal services in exchange for a portion of your successful settlement or judgment).

You can find local attorneys using the State and Local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).