Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney at Law Offices of Khaled Issa
90630425

Ok. Then all I have to do is send the Defendant, Auto

Customer Question

Ok. Then all I have to do is send the Defendant, Auto Nation, a Certified, Return Receipt Requested, "Demand" letter for $5,000,000.00, and that will give me the time to retain an Attorney. No?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 4 months ago.

Hello:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question.

A demand letter does not, and cannot under the law, extend the time in which a lawsuit must be filed under the Statute of Limitations. A demand letter is an attempt to negotiate a settlement. The negotiation process has no effect on the strict time period in which a lawsuit must be filed.

A lawsuit can be filed even before any settlement negotiations or demand letter being sent. This occurs when a plaintiff needs to file suit because there has been no settlement prior to the expiration of the Statute of Limitations. Once a suit is filed, an attorney can be hired to negotiate a settlement. However, if the Statute of Limitations has expired, an insurance company will not entertain any settlement discussions as they are under no legal duty to do so now that a lawsuit cannot be brought.

Questions based on this? If so, please ask!

If not, please remember that experts here are not employees of JustAnswer and do not get credited for taking the time to provide general information to individuals until the individual clicks ACCEPT and rates the assistance with three stars or higher. Your cooperation in this regard would be appreciated!

***General information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor should it be relied upon as such. It is always wise to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction as they would be in the best position to assist***

I see you have read my response.

I hope the general information provided here has been helpful.

If you have no other questions, please remember that experts here assist individuals as their income and not as a hobby. With this in mind, please click accept and rate the assistance with three stars or higher as this is the only way experts can be credited for taking the time to assist. This will ensure future assistance.

Thank you.