Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I have a question I have a case with Hilton and I am going

Customer Question

I have a question I have a case with Hilton and I am going to be settling this on my own without getting a lawyer I just found out my hospital bill is 7k so when I do my demand letter since I am settling on my own I do not have to pay a lien on my hospital bills correct? I was told that it will just go to collections but I wouldn't have to do any liens?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. A lien is only possible if the creditor (in this case, the hospital), sues and then receives a judgment. If so, then the creditor can place a lien on titled property reflecting the judgment.

That normally does not take place unless/until months (or sometimes a year or more) of collection efforts have proved fruitless and the creditor decides to file suit. Ergo, if they have just sent this to collections, then someone in your situation normally has time before any legal action is taken.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!