Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law

I lied to the insurance company about the driver of a car

Customer Question

I lied to the insurance company about the driver of a car during an accident. I didn't receive any compensation or anything. I just made an ill advised mistake to help someone who is no longer here. I think I'm being taken to court for the car accident case but not yet for lying. How much trouble am I in?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 2 months ago.

If you lied to the insurance company to receive compensation, it could be considered insurance fraud. You would not actually have to receive payment for it to be considered insurance fraud, just that you made the statement to the insurance company in an attempt to get compensation. I would suggest finding a local attorney who can help you with this issue because future lying could result in perjury, which has even stiffer penalties.