Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Partnered in a personal injury law firm for approximately 30 years.

Wanted to know what happens if i was givin 60 days to find a

Customer Question

Wanted to know what happens if i was givin 60 days to find a lawyer And didnt find one And also didnt go to court on that date.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Ny
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes i have
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: They told me the case was difficult to prove since the witness passed
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: They also mentioned that i should just take the money that was offered even if its a little bit. Which is what my actual lawyer wanted
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

Your statement of facts is not very clear to me. Are you the plaintiff or the defendant? What kind of case is it and why were you given sixty days to find a lawyer? Who is offering you money to settle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Plaintiff, injury lawsuit my dad had but he passed. His lawyer told us ti take the money offered by the hospital. But we said no so he voluntarily withdrew we were given 60 days . Am i supposed to exclude holidays And weekends ?. It was 60 days from may 25

Holidays and weekends are included so your time expired around July 25. Your lawyer was probably right in telling you to take the money. Most lawyers will tell you that a claim for personal injury damages dies with the plaintiff. That is going to affect your ability to obtain a lawyer to carry the case through to trial.

Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do i do if i missed The deadline?

What do you want to do at this point? That is, accept the offer, or proceed with the case pro se?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If i wanted to proceed with the case And i missed the deadline what can i do

I don't know what the 60 day instruction from the judge meant. It sounds like he to give you that much time to obtain a new lawyer before proceeding further with the case. Therefore if a new lawyer does not come into the case on your behalf, whatever motions are pending will be decided by the judge based upon your presentation, rather than that of a lawyer. In other words from this point you will be proceeding pro se. That's my guess.