Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

About a year ago I had a relapse of a very server and

Customer Question

About a year ago I had a relapse of a very server and painful condition of Gastroparesses.One Dec 5 I felt really nauseous and rotten till I vomitted. When I called my GI Dr at the end of the day and told him what was going on, and reminded him about the gastropareses and the meds I was taking and that I could hardly eat anything at all he said to call the ambulance and he would call ahead to the hospital.When we got to the hospital, they gave me a private room, I was surprised, my own doctor had ordered a catscan with contrast so I had to drink this solution. Well I was so parched I was a happy to drink whatever they gave me because by that my tongue stuck to the top of my mouth. But there were just so much I could drink before I started getting bloated again, my stomach hurt again and I felt like I was going to explode again. I told the nurse that I can't drink more or I will throw up again She immediately took the drink away from me and someone came to take me to the catscan right away. Everything was moving double time. I htought I had another hour to go, but I started vomiting and they realized that I would spit out the fluid they just gave me and it would just become a bad cycle so they took me immediately. When I had just gotten settled in my bed, a tall doctor asked me if I had ever had surgery before. I laughed and told him I had already given him the list of my surgeries. He asked was any done in this hospital (South Nassau Communities Hospital in Oceanside) before and I told him my hernias were preformed there. He asked who my surgeon was and I was told that he was retired and that he no longer works there but I definitely have a blockage and I definitely needed emergency surgery.My husband an I met with the surgeron who said the first step was to put in a nasal gastric tube in my nose and try to suction up the obstruction. I will be blunt with you, that was going to hell and back. it was so painful I was crying and begging to stop and just do the surgery. Speding the night with this gastric nasal tube was like living with a nightmare. My daughter came in and starting yelling at everyone how do I get my mother transferred to better hospital, a new york city hospital. She was told at this point your mom can't be moved and they will be doing surgery in 5 hours at 6 o'clock. I just wanted my surgeon to go to sleep. Well I didn't. None of us were sure of this surgeon but we had no choice. He asked if I had any implants and I said no. When I came out of surgery he told me I could have died. The Ventralex Hernia Mesh used in October of 2008 broke away and made its way to my bowel and it blocked it completely and that caused the need for the bowel ressection. This surgery got infected immediate and opened to this huge wound into about 7 inch gash that was one on my belly. All the stitches had to be removed. I was stuck in the hospital for 9 days. The entire Chanuka holiday being separated from my children and grandchildren and missing everyone and everything we planned including missing two very impnortant weddings I was very looking forward to go participate in. I went home with an open wound, had to nurse myself, had to use a wound vac for two weeks and that is how the wound closed. So now I still don't have my energy back and I have to look at this very ugly ragged scar up my belly. I look like Frankenstein. My doctor said that this mesh making its way down my intestines, caused the gastropareses kick up and cause me so much pain. How can you help me. This is supposed to be the best years of my life. Enjoying my kids and grandkids, helping other people and all I do is play with meds to help me fall aslleep at night, then sleep away half the day tten drag myself out of bed and try to accomplish something. My doctor says I have to rest and listen to my body. My body says it was attacked and it has to be compensated. I suffered, my kids and grandkids suffered, my husband suffered, I want to be compensated. I deserve to be compensated. I want my life back. I want this nightmare to disappear.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There have been numerous product liability suits against these mesh companies and you need to get to a local product liability attorney, because if your doctor is blaming this all on the mesh, then you have a legal case against the mesh manufacturer and you can sue them for the damages and to at least get monetary compensation for what all of this has caused you to suffer and has cost you.
You can get a local medical product liability law attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com