Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

Would the case number for a local police investigation and

Customer Question

Would the case number ***** a local police investigation and federal search warrant be the same number?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I have noticed you have multiple questions open and have yet to leave positive feedback for those experts who have taken time to respond to you. Please understand, most customers are unaware, the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
A federal search warrant has a federal case number ***** it. If local police have enlisted the assistance of the feds, then the feds can assist under the local search warrant (under the local police case number) or if the feds use the local police case to get their own warrant, while they can refer to the local police case number ***** the warrant, the warrant would have a federal case file number on it or would be blank.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What if it is a federal search and seizure warrant? Eould it have the same case number ***** a the one found on a police investigation report?
Thank you for your reply.
A federal search and seizure warrant would have a federal case number ***** it, it would not be the local police case number.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If it is an ongoing investigation, do the police or prosecution have to tell you about the case if you ask them?
Thank you for your reply.
If it is an open case the police do not have to tell you anything about the investigation or prosecution at all.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is the us district court in baltimore, maryland?
The US District Court in Baltimore is the FEDERAL COURT, not a MD state court.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. But I just saw that on the form for a search warrant, it says "us district court for the (space) district of (space)".If someone fills out that form, what would be put there for a defendant in baltimore?
Thank you for your reply.
Okay, if it was in Baltimore, it would say "United States District Court for the blank District of Maryland" as Maryland has only one US District Court that covers the whole state.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I just found this online. How would it be filled out for a defendant in baltimore accussed ob being an accessory to sexual assault and victim intimidation/manipulation?
Thank you for your reply.
It would be United States District Court for District of Maryland
It would describe the premises and address to be searched. Sometimes the case number ***** ***** in sometimes it is blank, since it takes the feds time to get a case number ***** the US Attorney's Office and it is not a required field on the form.
The codes that were violated would be filled in if known. Also a brief description of the facts giving them probable cause to believe that the place to be searched contains evidence would be attached.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
in the form, what would be written after the "located in the"What are the codes for accessory to sexual assault
And accesory to victim intimidation
(What would be the legal format in which they would be written in?)
Go back and look at the previous answer I provided in the other question as I provided you the codes there.
It would be written, depending on the agent filling it out as it could vary a bit:
Accessory to Sexual Assault, 10 USC 920
Accessory to Witness Intimidation, 18 USC 1512
It may vary in form a bit from agent to agent filling it out but those would be the charges. The 18 USC 3 Accessory code is not generally used, it is written into the charges.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
for accessory to sexual assault, would it be, 18 usc 3 - 10 usc 920?(You know to specify that the warrant is to search for evidence as an accessory)
Thank you for your reply.
Not always, every agent fills out these warrants differently, many never include the 18 USC 3, because accessory is not really the charge, the charge is Accessory to Sexual Assault, 18 USC 3 is just the code that describes what an accessory is. So typically it would be written as Accessory Sexual Assault 10 USC 920, as long as the wording is there explaining the charge they can leave off the 18 USC 3.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
in the form, what would be written after the "located in the"
Okay, before we go further, are you actually trying to fill out one of these forms, because I cannot help you fill out a search warrant nor will I.
It would be located in the city of Baltimore District of Maryland, if that is where the property is located.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. I am trying to figure out if something someone sent me was legit.
Thank you for the reply, I just had to make sure.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What would typically be written in the section for what is being searched and reason for that?
Thank you for your reply
In the reason for search and where they would search, they have to explain their probable cause (as I said above) for why they believe that there is evidence of a crime and why it is going to be in the location they are searching.