Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.

We are staying at a VRBO house and my mother fell backwards

Customer Question

Hi.. We are staying at a VRBO house and my mother fell backwards down a flight of stairs, she went to the emergency room and now has a broken right arm and a subdural hematoma. What are our rights in the state of California?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that the homeowner is not liable for a guest having an accident in the home in general. The only way the homeowner is liable is if there was some defect in the home that they had notice of prior to the accident and failed to warn you of or failed to fix. Otherwise, people have accidents all the time and that does not mean someone is liable every time someone falls down. So to prove the homeowner liable you have to prove there was some defect in the home that caused the fall and the homeowner knew of that defect before the incident and failed to warn or repair.