Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor

I'm a travel agent. Last night I had a customer who left me

Customer Question

Hi. I am Blanka. I'm a travel agent. Last night I had a customer who left me nasty and almost threatening messages on my voicemail due to the fact that his United Airlines flight from Washington D.C. to Atlanta was delayed for 3 hours. He was angry because previous to his flight he had to change the date of return due to his business issues and had to pay a total of $ 702 for ticket exchange which included airline penalty and fare difference. There was not a single penny that I either made or collected from that amount. He insisted to come back to USA sooner (returning from Sarajevo, Bosnia to Atlanta, GA) and decided to pay the fare difference between the ticket he originally bought and the one that was available for yesterday's flights... So, after he arrived from Sarajevo to Washinton DC and waited to board the plane from Washington to Atlanta which happened to be delayed for 3 hours and which eventually he took and used, he called me several times from Washinton Airport with messages such as:"You will pay for this... You have no idea whom you're dealing with.... I will get to you... You will end up in the court..." etc. The messages were in extremely rode tone and full of rage... He was blaming me, his travel agent, for the airline's delay and was obviously upset that the exchange of ticket he made last week costed him as much as $ 702... but that was because the flights were sold out and there were no cheap seats left.... not because of me....So, he used the flight delay to attack me verbally, leave very nasty voice messages on my phone and threaten my with the law suit... For what? For the fact that he had to exchange his ticket to an earlier date due to his personal reasons and the fact that the flight was delayed for 3 hours for which airline surely had a valid reason...Neither of that was my fault... But he took it on me and left all these ugly messages... If he peruses with more pressure on me and continues some action against me although I don't see any valid reason for that, what can I do? I suffer from panic attack and have a medical condition already and such emotionally abusive approach toward me by the client is only making me feel worse... I felt threatened by him and was shaking for half an hour after I listened to his messages... I called him back and tried to talk nicely to him but he was rude and hung up on me... As a travel agent who tries to always make my customers happy, what can I do when they cross the line and blame me for things I'm not responsible for and threaten me with statements such as:"You don't know whom you're dealing with... You will see what I will do to you..." etc...?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? I am Pearl, the Personal Injury Lawyer's Assistant.
Customer: He lives in Nashville, TN
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. It happened late last night.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No. I am really hurt by his language and by the fact that he was taking his frustration against me.... I am afraid he might be looking for a reason to get some money back due to the delay and the fact that he had to make such an expensive exchange payment last week... He might be thinking that by taking it on me he will get some money back...or I don't know... I have no fault in this ....
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hi Blanka,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You are in no way responsible for delays caused by the airline. The customer has no legal basis for calling you and yelling at you, just because he's upset with what happened. The airline is the one who would owe him (if he's entitled to compensation at all). You do not have any obligation to give him a penny back, and if he sues, a judge will not order you to pay him.

You also have no obligation whatsoever to talk to him. You can let him know that all further communications must be via letter (or just tell him not to contact you again, period), and block his number. If he calls, tell him you will not speak to him until he can be reasonable and hang up. You do not have to return his calls. You can send him to voice mail and ignore those messages (keep them, in case you need evidence, though). But you didn't do anything wrong here.

The law does allow someone to contact another person if they believe they're owed money, so it's not illegal for him to call you. But once you tell him to STOP, if it continues, he could be charged with harassment. Threatening physical violence is also illegal, and you could contact the police if you believe he's going to follow through.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?