RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 29 years in personal injury

Had bought a small home in the Suwannee County Fl. Area to

Customer Question

Had bought a small home in the Suwannee County Fl. Area to eventual retire and move to. Closed in Feb, 2016 and visited a few times, but in May fell ill and had open heart surgery and couldn't make the trip for several months. 2 months after my surgery a tree fell supposedly from the property landing across the county road and a truck ran into the tree. Now claiming permanent injuries etc. Our property insurer is looking into the claim and will have their lawyers represent our interest. Should we personally obtain a lawyer, is there other legal liability or exposure to us personally? Owning this property for less then 3 months before I fell ill I had no idea of the condition of the tree, if the tree actually fell from within our property . Rural setting naturally wooded property along the county road.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

No the insurance carrier is obligated to defend you here and pay judgment up to policy limits.If you have not done so this would be a great time to claim this as homestead.Florida has unlimited homestead protection so here this house once claimed would not be affected by judgment.I would sell your other one now if you have not done so.

Long term you are better off with one property and one homestead in Florida . A judgment here could cloud title to both properties and put Florida on at risk.I would consider selling any other properties now and claim the Florida one as a homestead.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.