Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience

My brother has a unsecured loan with me $21K. He has a

Customer Question

My brother has a unsecured loan with me for approximately $21K. He has a pending settlement from an accident. Is there a way to ensure that I am paid out of the settlement? I have a notarized document from him on this loan.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: We are both residents of Florida. Accident took place in Maryland for his pending settlement so a Maryland lawyer is handling that work.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I believe that covers it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Personal Injury Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, there is no way to ensure that a debt is paid from a personal injury settlement unless that debt is for medical or legal services relating to the personal injury claim and there is a signed lien authorizing the payment to come directly from the settlement. Otherwise, you need to file a lawsuit for breach of contract and then collect on your judgment. If you can find out where the personal injury settlement money is being kept (i.e. with a particular bank) you can put a levy on that bank account and extract the money through a judgment collection action. But you need to go through these formal channels. You cannot redirect the funds from a personal injury settlement to satisfy your brother's debt. I wish I could tell you otherwise as I am sure this is a frustrating situation.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Was there anything else I can do for you?