N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

My husband was getting ready to be discharged to rehab from

Customer Question

My husband was getting ready to be discharged to rehab from the hospital after a mild stroke. I went home to pack a bag after having been given a list of things he would need. I had been gone about 30 min. when a doctor called and told me that my husband had "crashed" and that they were doing a code. She wanted my permission to "call the code." I gave permission. I was never given a probably cause of death or any details. An autopsy was done. The result was: Cause of death: Accident. Place of accident: Hospital room. Food bolus asphyxia. The autopsy report did not reveal any other conditions which could have caused death. No additional stroke, Incidentally a swallowing study was never done, Do I have a case?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

A patient choking on food is easily preventable and treatable, so it sounds like the hospital was negligent, but you need to have a local attorney review the medical records and advise you as to your options.

You can get a free consultation from some of the medical malpractice attorneys listed by location here.

This is a very specialized area of the law that most lawyers would not be able to handle. Please follow up on this with a law firm that regularly handles medical malpractice cases.

I hope this information is helpful.