LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience.
15277592

In a settlement contract in arbitration I agreed to and

Customer Question

In a settlement contract in arbitration I agreed to and signed a contract requesting that I be responsible, through a $1000 fine, for me, my family or any friends, negative speech regarding a certain company holding that settlement contract. Am I responsible for other peoples freedom of speech, even though I signed a contract and if so how can I contain other peoples speech?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning Barbara,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you asking whether you can be held liable for the derogatory comments that you, your family members or your friends happen to make about a particular company, or group of companies, if you previously entered into a settlement agreement or contract of some sort in which you agreed to be legally responsible for those derogatory comments?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

Thanks for asking for me.

You asked: I was told that I would have to pay my husband spousal support instead of the other way around and he is not disabled in any way. Is that true? No, that is not entirely true. Your husband certainly has the ability to work if he was willing to and generally a court will not allow one spouse to just not work, and then seek spousal support, simply because that spouse believes they shouldn't have to work. You would ask the court to impute income to him based on what he could earn if he would go back to work. This should diminish or defeat any claim that he might make for spousal support.

If you have minor children in the family, the court will also use the imputation of income to calculate the child support that he will be obligated to pay you provided that you are the primary custodial parent---which seems pretty likely.

As for kicking him out of the house, as I mentioned, the only ways are through a restraining order if he becomes violent, or through a court order if you file for either Legal Separation or Divorce. That is it.

As a rule courts are hesitant to order spousal support for a former spouse who is cohabitating with another person in a marriage-like relationship----so if he moves in with the mistress there is a good chance that no spousal support would be awarded him, if he asked for it.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Please completely ignore the post in this thread from 9:52 AM. The site software accidentally posted it to your thread instead of the question thread where it belonged.

All I need for you is to know the following:

Doug