RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Okay then, I'm still feeling Post Traumatic Stress from a

Customer Question

Okay then, I'm still feeling Post Traumatic Stress from a layoff. My real boss retired and the owner took her place. The daily pressure and stress from her was almost like she wanted me to quit the job. I still showed up every day and doing my job very well. Her company was loosing money because of the oil downturn. Still, she's in my face everyday with verbal abuse to me. Can I still sue her for my pain and suffering after I signed a severance agreement?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Huh?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes, I suffered verbal and mental abuse everyday for about three months.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Personal Injury Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

It would depend on the terms of your severance agreement, but it's very unlikely. This is because severance agreements almost always include a waiver/release of claims provision whereby a person agrees, in exchange for their severance, to waive any and all possible claims they may have against their employer, now or in the future.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating.Thank you!