ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I was prescribed the drug plaquenil and now suffer these

Customer Question

I was prescribed the drug plaquenil and now suffer these terrible neurologic and psychiatric symptoms that arent seeming to go away. I wasnt informed if any of these potential symptoms before taking it and it has ruined my life.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Rhode island
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Nothing i can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Personal Injury Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what your specific question is?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yeah i want to know if its possible to sue the makers of plaquenil. I have no idea how to go about it.

Yes, certainly. It's also possible to sue your doctor for failure to warn about these side effects. The key is to show that you do have these effects, that they're lasting and resulting in a significant impact on the quality of your life, and that they're actually associated with the drug itself. It's a matter of proof, and you can bet that the other side that you're suing will have a team of lawyers that will dispute everything. They'll try to say that your issues are unrelated, or that you were informed, etc... so you'd have to overcome any of those objections.

That being said, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with product liability (specifically prescription drug) cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

While you could file such a case "pro se" (without an attorney), it would be meaningless to do so. Again, this is a highly technical matter, and experts would be needed to be hired, vetted, put on the stand, etc... and the other side will be trying everything to get the case knocked out on any technicality. You'd almost certainly lose if you brought this case. But a lawyer would give you a much better chance of winning.

Note that what you win depends upon what could be proved. If you're older, live alone, don't have any lost wages or other quantifiable damages from this, that might result in a much lower payout than if you're young, married, with children, high wage earner that was affected by this drug, etc... Damages that can be proven go a long way to establishing a strong case.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!