Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

Can a person roller blading in my neighborhood, in the

Customer Question

Can a person roller blading in my neighborhood, in the street, sue me because they fell on/in my driveway?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also, occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. They can sue you. Do you have homeowner's insurance? That should cover it... in fact, that is exactly what homeowners insurance is designed to address.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What about Florida statute(###) ###-####and 11,12.

What about them? I don't see a question regarding them...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was nothing wrong with my property and no negligence on my part.

If someone enters your home (I know this wasn't technically IN your home, but it was on your property) and falls, they can sue you and your homeowners insurance would reimburse them for injuries. This is even if you did nothing wrong. Does that make sense?

In other words, you don't have to have been negligent for your insurance to reimburse the other party.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This doesn't seem fair. He wants to sue for the highest limits of the policy, $300,000 when his injuries were $$100,000. Plus he is looking for other financial info regarding out of state property. And those statutes I mentioned, say it is illegal.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Those statutes say roller blading is illegal!!

If you have a statute that states that roller blading is illegal your homeowners insurance provider will use that as an affirmative defense.

It doesn't stop him from suing - but if he's doing something illegal it *could* stop him from winning. Does that make sense?