richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ

I am planning on suing the Los Angeles County Department of

Customer Question

I am planning on suing the Los Angeles County Department of Family and Children Services and I wanted to know if I should file a claim first or an intent to sue letter?
JA: The Personal Injury Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, a few. They have decided not to take the case so I plan on doing it Pro Per
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: None. I was initially seeking representation, but now I am going to have to give it a shot myself. However, I need help with forms, filing court, etc. I don't mind doing the work but I need some direction obviously.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Personal Injury Lawyer should know?
Customer: Just that its Los Angeles County DCFS.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Personal Injury Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 5 months ago.
In California, in personal injury cases, in order to sue a government entity, you need to file a Notice of Claim with that entity within 6 months. In other cases, the period for filing a Notice of Claim with the entity is one year. The claim itself must include the claimant’s name, address, preferred address for notices related to the claim, a general description of the injury, including the time and place it occurred, the damage it caused, the names of any public employees involved, and a computation of damages if less than $10,000.