CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney with experience representing plaintiffs in personal injury matters.

I was given a cortisone injection september 2013 in the shoulder.

Customer Question

i was given a cortisone injection september 2013 in the shoulder. a day and ½ later i came down with pain that was so intolerable i could not sleep. the cortisone was because i had a partially torn rotator cuff, avascular necrosis,and bursitis. i went to the ER they could not control the pain or reduce my BP. i was admitted. when the pain could not be controlled more test showed there was fluid in the joint. an orthopedist extracted fluid 1 and ½ syringes worth. i was shown the fluid which had a thick viscosity and was yellow. my shoulder joint was infected. i was also experiencing a sickle cell disease crisis. they had to move carefully. immediately the OR was booked. had an arthroscopic clean out of the joint, then sent to rehab for between 2-3 weeks. i had mrsa in the joint i had to undergo iv antibiotics. the infection reoccured jan 2014 i was septic by the time i got to hospital. i spent5 weeks in hospital(almost 3 weeks in ICU) and 5 weeks in rehab. In May2014 arthroscopic clean out and rehab for 3weeks. in October- November 2014 surgery the shoulder joint was exposed and the area cleaned of infection and packed with antibiotic soaked sponges. with 2 months of iv antibiotics. arm has limited range of motion. i continue to loose my balance. the last fall reduced arm range even more. use of the arm is very limited. the pain is always there. a sudden movement i see stars. i continue to have issues with mrsa. i had been infected with mrsa through the insertion of a stent in the urinary tract Dec2011- Jan 2012. may 2012 hospital refused to admit twice by the time i was admitted i had acute chest syndrome, pneumonia, and sepsis(mrsa). in august 2012 had severe acute phlebitis which staff had ignored and discharged me. a portion of the clot had broken and was under the left collar bone.
what leg do i have to stand on?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.
Medical malpractice claims are based on expert testimony, this means you, or your attorney, will need to find a medical expert in the same, or similar field, to testify as to the standard of care in the industry, whether your physician or facility's conduct fell below that standard, and whether that negligence was the cause of your injury. The same (or a different) expert can then testify as to your projected future damages and cost of medical care. Due to the complexity of these claims, I highly recommend that you retain a medical malpractice plaintiff's lawyer (also called trial attorneys). Fortunately the majority of these attorneys will provide you with a free consultation, and many will represent you on a contingency basis (they will advance the costs of litigation and legal services in exchange for a portion of your successful settlement or judgment). You can find local attorneys using the State and Local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).The most pressing issue that I see in the fact pattern you have identified that an attorney is going to have to address is the statute of limitations. Most states have a very short statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims, and many of your injuries have happened a couple of years ago. It is important to talk to an attorney about these things first because calculating a statute of limitations deals with more than just identifying how many years are called for, it is important to identify the proper "accrual date" (start date) based on the specific facts in the case.