RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

I was in an accident on March 3, 2016. My Mom was the wrongful

Customer Question

I was in an accident on March 3, 2016. My Mom was the wrongful death and my car totaled. Is there restriction on my ability to file a complaint against the car maker if I was the driver?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. So I can better assist you I want to make sure I understand correctly. Are you saying that you want to sue the car manufacturer in a product liability suit for your mother's wrongful death? Please note that this is not an answer, but an information request. Once I hear back from you I can work on your answer.
You haven't replied back to my information request, so I'm going to provide an answer based on my understanding of the facts provided. If my understanding is incorrect, or you need additional information or clarification after reading my answer, please REPLY back and I'm happy to assist further.As I understand it, your mother passed away in the accident and you want to bring suit against the auto maker. The fact that you were the driver doesn't prevent the bringing of a product defect/products liability suit. However, you would not file suit -your mother's estate, on her behalf, would file suit. So, for example, the lawsuit would be "In re: The Estate of ***** ***** vs. Ford Motor Company."Your mother's executor of her estate would be responsible for filing suit. If there is no estate (probate) open at this point, one would have to be opened before a lawsuit could be filed for her estate.If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces before signing out, so I am credited for my time and assistance today. Thank you!