Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

I had a very verbally abusive supervisor in the army and its

Customer Question

I had a very verbally abusive supervisor in the army and its cost me all kinds of health issues. I know I can't sue the Army but can I sue a person in the army for their personal conduct. This person was extremely verbally abusive publicly humiliating me and others and was even physically abusive to others.
JA: The Personal Injury Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Personal Injury Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Personal Injury Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: This person made my life a living hell he tried to ruin me professionally and continually tried to sabotage my work including trying to discredit me to others and my subordinates. He was very physically hostile and intimidating. He had the whole unit terrorized.
JA: OK. The Personal Injury Lawyer will need to help you with this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Personal Injury Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he was acting in the course and scope of his employment, you cannot sue him either, just like you cannot sue the army. I am afraid he is covered the same as his employer, the army would be. I am afraid that the type of conduct you describe, unless it was occurring based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin, would be actionable only through an internal complaint and employer action, not legal action.