Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
60109343

I have a pet grooming business and I just saw on Facebook where

Customer Question

I have a pet grooming business and I just saw on Facebook where an ex-girlfriend of my husband posted something about bestiality and that she wants dated someone (implying my husband) that admitted to being into bestiality and that he was now dating (this was a month ago and we are now married) someone that Grooms pets and that she now believes that was his plan( implying my husband married me to get to pets that I groom so he could violate them). We are not Facebook friends but we do have a have a lot of mutual friends and she is posting this on Facebook and I am wondering what else she is saying somewhere else and to whom. Is there anything that I can do to keep her from costing me business? If not already, it won't take long for people to put together who she's talking about since I am now with her ex and I have a pet grooming business. This is her actual post that she put on Facebook above an article about a guy convicted of sexual assault on a dog: " are all sex offenders into this? I know one that admitted he was.... the scary part is he is now dating a woman that grooms pets.... I now think that was a plan"
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. The facts you describe may very well give rise to a claim for defamation, since it can be reasonably inferred who the subject of the false statement is. However, defamation suits are rarely wise to bring because truth is an absolute defense to defamation, which means that there would be a public trial to determine whether in fact your husband was into bestiality. That would obviously bring far more attention to the allegation than any Facebook post, so it is this odd "between a rock and a hardplace" situation where many potential defamation claimants find themselves. Additionally, a defamation claim brought against an individual may result in a judgment, but then the question becomes whether that judgment could ever be collected. It's entirely possible that a defamation claimant could spend thousands of dollars pursuing a defamation claim, win, but then have the defendant declare bankruptcy or simply be unable to collect because the defendant has no assets. For these reasons, the best course of action is usually a strongly worded cease and desist letter drafted by a local attorney. It really has to come from an attorney to be taken seriously. Most people are totally frightened of being sued, and since this woman stands nothing material to gain from saying these things about your husband, she will probably stop to avoid a lawsuit. You can find a lawyer to draft the cease and desist letter here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.* Disclaimer *Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.