richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ

Some time ago I talked on the phone to an insurance agent for

Customer Question

Some time ago I talked on the phone to an insurance agent for a well recognized insurance company. We discussed the homeowner policy that she offered. I asked her about using a maid service in our home.
If we accidently pushed the maid down the stairs and she broke her neck to never walk again, would this company homeowner policy cover the judgement against us up to the $1 million limit? She called her underwriter then called back and said it would NOT cover the injury because it was a BUSINESS ACTIVITY in the home.
Do you think they are correct, because I imagine most homeowners with homeowner policies think they are covered for such mishaps. Our agent would tell us, “if you are liable, you are covered”. That is her favorite sentence…she never wants to elaborate. She just repeats that sentence.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 6 months ago.
Actually, they are sort of saying the same thing. The insurance agent is saying you would not be covered BECAUSE you would not be liable because it was a business activity. Property owners have different duties to different people who come on to their property, based on whether the person is invited and, if so, why the person is there -- a social guest or to do business. In this case, where someone is there doing business, your only duty would be to warn of known dangers. So, for example, if there was a loose board on the stairs and you knew about it and failed to warn the maid and she fell down the stairs, then you might be liable, and therefore you would be covered.