Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

My name is ***** *****. I am 61 years old and just

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I am 61 years old and just discovered my boyfriend has given me HPV. I have been quite stressed about this and the discovery he was cheating and lying. He knew he had it. I know this for a fact. Can I sue him for personal al I jury? Emotional distress at this age? I feel I can not have another relationship in my life as I would not want to do this to another innocent person . Thank you for your counsel.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We were together for 5 years. I had him go for testing. He told me he was negative
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Personal Injury Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

I'm so sorry to hear this is happened to you. There's no excuse for knowingly giving somebody an STD, and many state laws embrace that fact. You would have a cause of action for battery, which is an intentional and harmful touching without consent. While the actual touching was consensual, you would not have consented if you had known this pertinent information, so many states qualify this is a civil battery. There are some states that also have very specific causes of action for intentional (meaning knowing with substantial certainty) transmission of such a condition. Either way, you would be entitled to sue this person for your personal injuries and emotional distress. Age is not a consideration. Since this person told you he was negative, you would also have a cause of action for fraud. All of these causes of action would allow you to be compensated for your injuries/damages, and courts could also award punitive (punishment) monetary damages on top of that.

I hope this helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll be happy to continue providing assistance. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that as well, and please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the information we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you. I'm here to help.

Best,

Attorney 1