Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I hope you're the type of lawyer I need to talk to. On July

Customer Question

I hope you're the type of lawyer I need to talk to.
On July 8th of 2015, my husband, who was diagnosed with a rare terminal illness in January of 2013, was dying of renal failure so I called an ambulance to take him to the local hospital when his doctor, who put him on palliative care only in September of 2014 said he probably would not live long enough to get to the VA hospital (an hour away) so the local hospital would red line him to hospice.
I not only am his wife, but I was granted guardian of him in March of 2013.
I told them at the hospital I wanted palliative care only. Renal failure is the second leading cause of death in FTD patients. About 30% of FTD patients die of renal failure because they stop eating and drinking.
Instead, the ER doc, who didn't bother to take his history, and never treated a patient with FTD, treated him for the renal failure, then for heart problems caused by the renal failure.
He refused to follow my wishes because my husband was emaciated (he weighed 90 lbs the last time he was hospitalized in September of 2014. He had been hospitalized 3 times for nutrition. Even when he was eating, he continued to lose weight which is inevitable with FTD.
The leading cause of death for these victims is aspiration pneumonia which is why you can't force them to eat. The second cause is renal failure. The 3rd is choking. 17% die of other things, such as accidents, falls, burns, etc.
He was in end stage FTD when diagnosed. He couldn't talk, read, understand language, shave, dress, or operate the remote. His quality of life was awful. He knew who I was, but he couldn't say my name.
The hospital care was awful. They didn't give him pain meds because he never complained of pain. He was non-verbal! The nurses left him laying in his poop until We visited and would make them clean him. They also left him naked and without a blanket. So much so that the patient advocate put a nurses aide in his room 24/7 so she could tell the nurses to clean him up. It would take 5 nurses to clean him safely because he fought them because he didn't know what they were doing or why. He felt attacked. They wouldn't give him anything to calm him down. I actually have that on video.
When he was in ICU, they finally called in hospice. The hospice worker said he "looked pretty good" and denied hospice care for him. This is typical with FTD patients. However, the first criteria for hospice care for an FTD patient is, if nothing is done, will he die within 6 months? He fit all the criterion for hospice care. Then they called in an abuse specialist to see if I could be charged with domestic violence since he was so skinny. Her conclusion was that I had given him excellent care, citing things like no bed sores, no falls, illnesses, rashes, etc.
That is when they gave me my "rights" as guardian back.
I again said palliative care only. Pain meds and meds to keep him calm. I was informed he had a fever and his bp was very low. I went to stay with him. In comes the nurse with an IV of potassium for his impending heart failure. I wouldn't let her give it. She said that she knew he was now DNR but not that his meds were discontinued.
There is more, but long story short, he has been in a nursing home at $8000 a month since late August. He served 24 years in the Air Force, but he can't get VA care since he served too long.
What can I do?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your specific question for us regarding your situation that we can provide information to you about?