Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.

Doctor's office holding me liable old bill that they failed

Customer Question

Doctor's office holding me liable for year old bill that they failed to submit to to Medicare which would have fully covered. Office claims Medicare says now too late to submit. Do I have to pay
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first step you need to take is two things. You need to send a letter to medicare with a copy of the bill and an explanation that the doctors office made a billing error in not sending it out and that you are filing an appeal to medicare to reconsider payment of the bill. At the same time you need to send a letter to the doctor's billing office telling them that they were negligent in not properly sending out bills or submitting them as required and as a result of their negligence medicare is refusing to pay the bill. Tell the doctor's office that if medicare refuses to pay after you appeal, you would seek to hold them accountable to waive the bill and if they refuse you will sue them for negligence and the damage their negligence has now caused you.
In most of these situations, the doctor's office will agree to write off the bill, but not in all of the situations. If they refuse to write it off and medicare denies your appeal, you can sue them in small claims court for negligence and the damage that they are causing you to suffer because they failed to even send you the bill in proper time for you to submit it.