richanne96
richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ
69015496

I am considering filing a civil claim against a local 501

Customer Question

I am considering filing a civil claim against a local 501 3c, which is a soccer club in Austin Texas. I have documented instances of them going out of their way to exclude my daughter from events even after she left the club. Further we have made repeated attempts to "return" to this club and are met with additional road blocks.Can a non profit exclude and limit kids?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me why you believe they are doing this? What is the reason for their behavior?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In short because of me, I called them on their discrimination several years ago when we left. Now that my daughter is a top scorer in the State for another club, they are embarrassed. She is actually the #1 scorer in the 1999 birth year in all of Texas. To get her to that level I drive her 3 hours each way from Austin to Houston 3x per week.Now they use their political connections to keep her off of National Team invites etc. A Coach at Lonetar doubles as the gatekeeper for the US Soccer Training Center.Erynn's stats
http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/teams/78817208/49622541-78817271/TEAM.htmlOlivia Stone - Lonestar player with less than 50% production
http://www.eliteclubsnationalleague.com/teams/78817208/30157287-78817271/TEAM.htmlStone selected to US Soccer event. Teams 3 and 4 are comprised of 1999-2000 birth year...its pretty glaring.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XN0yEJtfQVFJSoFCE4eh5CryZ6L4-3iZI6AYE60xAMk/editEmail to her current coach last month explaining the history she has endured at the hand of a "non-profit" attached
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh yes did I mention she is 6'1" left footed and runs a 4.9 40 time?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Every event in the attachment can be documented and backed up by corroborating witnesses
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

You said that you called them on discrimination. Can you please clarify what you mean? I have the letter you sent, but it may be easier if you simply tell me in 2-3 sentences what happened.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I sent their Board an email detailing what had happened over the years. The Board did not respond to me but gave it to their Director of Coaching who got very confrontational about it so we left. Now that she has had success at another club, they continue to screw with her via political connections which I can document
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is a walking testament to all that is wrong over there. So they hold her back still whenever possible.
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

What had happened... as in how? What did the email allege? '

Was she a player on the team and was kicked off?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just want to know if I have cause before I set about speaking to counsel
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ill call my guy at Beck Redden. Wow...
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Okay, I am sorry we seem not to be communicating very well.

I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other experts.

Your JustAnswer Account has not been charged for this conversation and your question is back in the queue. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should an expert pick it up, you should be alerted via email and/or SMS (text message) unless you actively disable these features.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this will "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other experts' access to it.

My apologies for any inconvenience and good luck...

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the veil of a non profit penetrable - all I need to know
Expert:  richanne96 replied 9 months ago.

The fact that an entity is a non-profit does not affect its ability to discriminate legally, nor does it affect your ability to pierce the corporate veil. The same standards in this regard apply to non-profits as well as to for-profit companies.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you - I will proceed accordingly with local counsel. Slam dunk case.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please give me a positive rating so I can get paid. Thank you