richanne96
richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ
69015496

I caused a car accident in oct 2012 i didnt have insurance

Customer Question

I caused a car accident in oct 2012 i didnt have insurance at the time at the accident two guys pushed my car to the side and one let me used my phone and then he called someone to pick up his car and then he went and laid on the ground he had some type of metal grill on the back of his car like a tire holder or rack so my car was damaged not his so a few months later i heard from the guy the one who helped push me to the side and he told me that he hadn't work since the accident and he's back was hurt and he wanted me to do was fix his car he said his back door wouldn't close now and it was like(###) ###-####and i ask can i make weekly payments he agreed and before I started making the payments he started texting me wierd hrs like hey how are you what are you doing it was never hey when will I get the money so i decided he was being inappropriate so I decided to wait to hear from his insurance company and i did finally but this was September October 2015 i had never heard from him since the text messages back in August 2012 well they're saying I owe over 117 thousands dollars i called them left s message no reply and now last night someone came by my home to serve me papers but i wasn't there what should i do
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.

The statute of limitations for personal injury in Michigan is three years, which is why you are hearing about this and getting sued now, three years after the accident. They had to get the lawsuit filed or it would have been too late. No doubt that is what they are attempting to serve you with, a lawsuit. Since you did not have insurance at the time of the accident, you will have to either hire an attorney to represent you or represent yourself. Since you admit you caused the accident, the best thing may be to let them serve you and then call the attorney and attempt to settle for whatever you can afford. If you avoid service and ignore the lawsuit, they will likely get a default judgment against you for the full amount, and then they can garnish your paycheck and/or your bank accounts. You do not want that.