Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

I had a car accident. And that was my fault. My insurance

Customer Question

I had a car accident. And that was my fault. My insurance only covers 1/3 of the coverage for the other side of damage. And I don't have enough money to pay the gap. What should I do? The other car insurance company will contact me soon.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, they can seek to sue you for the damages. If you cannot pay, they will get a judgment against you and then they will place a lien on your license causing it to be suspended until you repay. If you cannot pay and you do not have any other assets such as a house or car they can seize from you, then you may want to consider filing bankruptcy which would extinguish the debt that you owe as an unsecured creditor (you could protect your home and car in bankruptcy). Once you get the debt extinguished in bankruptcy then they would not be able to place the lien on your license.