Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My daughter, who is 16 and not licensed took my car last

Customer Question

my daughter, who is 16 and not licensed took my car last night without permission, and allowed another unlicensed teenager drive the vehicle. My daughter's friend hit a parked trucked in a residential area. The ambulences were called, no insurance information was exchanged, we were in such a rush to get to the hospital. Fortunately everyone is ok, but I am a single mom, 100% disabled vet and my car was totaled. I have uninsured/underinsured motorist....do you feel that my car will be covered by my insurance?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have already called my insurance company (USAA) to file a claim, and I'm not sure if I did the right thing, please help, I need a means of transportation
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to read about this incident.

It is likely that your insurance company would cover your claim because you did not authorize your daughter to take the car. However, the insurance company would question you first regarding the circumstances surrounding your daughter leaving the house with the car without your permission before making a decision in your case.