Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

I was injured by sheriffs when they came to my house 8

Customer Question

I was injured by sheriffs when they came to my house 8 different times for 911 hangup call that never happened as i didn't even have a land line that last visit from them is when they broke my wrist by the handcuffs and had to have surgery , 3 plate 8 pins and screws ,i wasn't resisting or anything , they searched my house every time then would leave , i had a lawsuit against them with a lawyer but then i got in trouble and went to prison for a year , they sent me way up north and the my lawsuit came up for a date and they wouldn't send me to court instead they said sign this or else , is there anything i can do , can i refile or ?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
picture of my wrist added
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What happened to the suit that had been filed? You want to file a new suit on the same issues of the suit you had already filed? How long has it been since the incident and how long has it been since you have been released from prison?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2 1/2 years i have been out of prison ,3 1/2 to 4 years ago is when it happened , i would of done something sooner but i was on probation and quit honestly intimidated by sheriff retaliation
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the law suit was dismissed due to no appearance by me so lost by default i guess
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid I have some bad news for you on this. The statute of limitations of 2 years would now bar your claim. Also, you could have sought to vacate that default dismissal, if the case was dismissed back previously for you not appearing, because of course you could not have appeared, by filing a motion to vacate default within a year of your release. Since you did not act in a timely fashion, this is the issue that will prevent you from continuing to pursue your claim further now, it is only you simply waited too long I am sorry to say.