Christopher B, Esq
Christopher B, Esq, Attorney
Experience:  personal injury and medical malpractice attorney
84496330

Someone t my dog and is asking me to pay the deductible on s

Customer Question

Someone hit my dog and is asking me to pay the deductible on his vehicle. I'm covering the vet bill is 4,000 and growing, the deductible is 500$. It was snowing the night the dog was hit if that makes a difference but I want to know if I am responsible for repair costs to the vehicle.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Unfortunately, owners of animals are responsible for the damages they cause. In your situation, your dog who was loose and not supervised causing damages to the other party's car. You as the dog's owner are responsible for the damage to the car and any other damages caused. Your homeowner's policy might actually pick up such a claim under its liability coverage. Typically liability claims do not have a deductible, however a claim filed against your homeowners policy is sure to be surcharged at renewal.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied

I see you have reviewed my answer, do you have any further questions? If not, please positively rate my answer if satisfied (there should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to my answer, a good or excellent rating would be fantastic) as that is the only way I will be compensated by the site for my work. This will not cost you anything extra and this extra step would be appreciated.