Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

I want to ask you. someone asked her friends are lawyers

Customer Question

I want to ask you . someone asked her friends are lawyers sent me a letter asking me to pay .but i am not owe. and in letters not have given evidence that I have to pay this amount. What I have to do. I know this person and her friends (lawyers) often sent threatening letters ask some other people to pay for her. because she thought I had only been in the US for several years. So I do not know about US law. Can you please help me how i have to answer them. thank you
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

If you don't owe this person money, you can either: i) simply ignore the letter, whether or not it's from a lawyer, or ii) respond by informing them you owe the person nothing and if they pursue this you will be filing a counter suit for malicious prosecution of a frivolous lawsuit seeking actual and punitive damages. Even if they threaten a law suit, you really need not be concerned, because the burden is not on you to prove you don't owe money; rather, the burden is on them to produce proof that you do owe the money. Since you don't owe this money, they will be unable to satisfy this burden.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!