Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

My daughter in law borrowed my car and had an accident with

Customer Question

My daughter in law borrowed my car and had an accident with it she is not on my policy and the insurance company wants me to say I let her drive while they record my statement could that be a problem or is that the normal thing to do
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you do not say you gave her permission to use the car, then you are saying she took it without your permission and that means she stole it from you. If the car was stolen there is no insurance coverage for the accident. If she used the car with your consent, then even if she was not on the policy your insurer should still cover the claim.