P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

After deducting the proceeds of the sale from the total

Customer Question

After deducting the proceeds of the sale from the total amount due Plantiff, a deficiency of 150,047 results. That there shall be an IN REM judgement entered I the sum of 150,047 with interest there on as provided by statue against the subject property. The court also enters a personal deficiency judge against the defendant in the sum of 150,047. Execution my issue.....
In short what does this mean?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I have some thoughts on this and will type them up, a few moments please...

What you are describing sounds like a judgment issued by a court.

The judgment is "twofold"...there is an "in rem" judgement and an "in personam judgment"

In rem is a judgment against property. I judgment entered by a court with in rem jurisdiction does not bind the defendant personally but determines the title to or status of the only property in question.

So, for example, if there was a dispute over ownership of a bank account, the court could give a judgment that allows one party to access the funds in the account.

In personam judgment is, essentially, the opposite. This is a judgment against a particular person.

So this is a judgment that can be enforced against BOTH particular property AND against an individual.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.