Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
60109343

Can I get a copy of my files from attorney before case

Customer Question

Can I get a copy of my files from attorney before case settled
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is no law or regulation that would require an attorney to produce their entire case file to an existing client. However, your attorney should have no problem with explaining what they've done to advance your case. The fact it has come to this--you researching ways to legally compel your attorney to disclose what they are doing for you--indicates that this attorney really isn't doing their job. They should be communicating with you on a regular basis and keeping you updated on the status of your case.

The above noted, you should keep in mind that personal injury cases can take a very long time to resolve. Generally, personal injury cases cannot be resolved until the client has finished treating (otherwise, you don't know what the full extent of your damages are), and even then, there are many factors outside of the attorney's control that can slow the process of resolving your claim to a crawl. So, if it is not your attorney's lack of communication that is the problem but rather the lack of progress they have made, consider the above before taking more severe action.

If you write your attorney requesting a status update and they fail to provide one to your satisfaction (this should be your first step), you may wish to consider firing your attorney and hiring someone else. At that point in time, your attorney WILL be legally required to provide you with your case file. You will also likely be able to find an attorney that does a much better job communicating with you. But this really shouldn't be your first resort. Explain to the attorney that you are not satisfied with their efforts to update you on the status of your case, and that they have a professional obligation under the Rules for Professional Conduct which require them to communicate with you. If this letter does not trigger a satisfactory response, you can locate alternative legal counsel here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Were you able to view my response? Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance....

Please kindly remember to positively rate my service if I have answered your question. This is the only way that I receive credit for the assistance I provide and so is very much appreciated.

Thank you and happy holidays.