Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

Have you ever heard of a case where a plaintiff was assigned

Customer Question

Have you ever heard of a case where a plaintiff was assigned protection. I'm wondering in my case if it is possible and whom would be able to do this. i can't even think about things and these defendants are threatening me. I feel very distraught that may things are happening right before Christmas and I feel like there goal is to do some other criminal act beside the ones they've already committed. Please advise. Thanks, Liz
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In a civil case the court will not assign protection to anyone. If there are credible threats of criminal harm, then you need to report them to the police and the police can pursue charges against the perpetrator and then the court can issue a protective order to keep the person away. The police protection through the district attorney's office is only used for witnesses and victims in high profile criminal cases because of the financial cost of such protection.

If these defendants in the civil case are harassing you and you fear for your safety, you need to file a motion for a restraining order against them in the court to have the court order them to not have further contact with you and to cease the threats.