Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Suffered a detached retina about five days coming down with

Customer Question

suffered a detached retina about five days coming down with ship virus fully kicked in on flight home. Vomiting stared tears in the retina. After emergency and months od recovery to reattach the retina, sight cannot be restored. What legal action can I take? Trip ended 5/27/15 and retina detached June 3, 2015.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I will be assisting you with you question.

First, could you please clarify for me how your retina came to be detached? I'm unclear as to when/how this happened and how you began getting ill. Who would you want to take legal action against?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trip 5/13 started and ended on 5/27. The ship got some kind of virus that affected a lot of people on the ship. On the day I left the ship when I was flying home, I got really sick and I was vomiting violently which apparently caused my retina to get somewhat detached. I was seeing small specks. On 6/3, my retina got fully detached and I had to undergo emergency surgery. My retina got reattached but it had caused permanent eye damage, it can't be corrected with glasses. I am sort of off-balance and I cannot even read. It has affected my ability to drive and to move around. There is no treatment for it. I'm not sure if I should take legal action against the ship, the travel agency, the Alamo travel agency in Alamo, California or the insurance company, Trip Cancellation Interruption Insurance.

I now understand better.

If you will be suing, you should sue the ship and the ship's insurance company. The issue would be that they were negligent in that they breached their duty of care to the passengers by failing to keep the ship in a reasonably safe condition.