Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

I believe that I am correct in the situation I am going to

Customer Question

Hello. I believe that I am correct in the situation I am going to describe but would be interested in your input. My neighbor's nephew who we knew well, committed suicide by hanging. This boy was probably one of the nicest kids (18) I have met in a long
time although suicide happens to the best. He had ADHD and had been on Adderall. However, by his own choosing, he was not consistent on what I was told when he would take it, but then I believe that this drug is an "as needed" medicine. He was on the drug
when he took his life. My neighbor thinks the parents have a potential lawsuit against either the Manufacturer or Physician who prescribed it. I personally do not believe that a basis exists since the drug like most drugs comes with specific warnings and suicide
is often one of the potential side effects. Losing this boy is very sad but suing sucessfully seems like an uphill battle to me. Do you agree?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

Yes, it would be an uphill battle; but it is not an impossible case depending on very specific facts and expert witness testimony. See how some cases have played out on this issue here and here and here. A free consultation with a law firm that specializes in this area would be worthwhile.