Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
60109343

Our 7 year old daughter had her finger severed by a package

Customer Question

Our 7 year old daughter had her finger severed by a package that was left leaning against our door by Federal Express. They have paid all her medical bills and have made an offer of $25,000 to settle. I feel this is far short of where they should be.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about your daughter's accident. Can you please clarify what your question is regarding this matter? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have declined the offer of $25,000 but they are asking is we have a counter offer. This was a severe injury. The box fell on her and crushed her finger against a stair. The top of her finger was completely severed and had to be reattached. It was many months of limited activity and two months in a cast to protect the injury. We have been told that she should wait until she is older for plastic surgery. She continues to have pain in the finger.I feel the settlement should cover not only possible medical expenses down the line but also should compensate for the traumatic event for both her and our family. I don't want to be unreasonable but wonder if at this time I should seek to hire a lawyer to handle this.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, this is the time at which you want to retain a lawyer. The reality is simply that "self represented" parties are not taken seriously in settlement negotiation because there is no real litigation threat, and without the threat of litigation, there is no incentive to make a full value offer.

It sounds like your daughter's injuries were extremely serious, and it also sounds like 25k falls vastly short of an acceptable settlement figure. Settlement needs to compensate her for future medical needs and future pain and suffering. This case is a "big deal" for her and it should be handled by an attorney. Yes, the attorney will take a percentage as their fee (typically 1/3, though you may be able to negotiate something slightly lower because your daughter is a minor), but that fee will pay for itself in the form of a higher offer and the peace of mind in knowing that this matter was handled professionally and that your daughter received a settlement that was truly fair.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Was I able to address your concerns here? Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance....