Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant personal injury experience
60109343

I was punched in the face last night at a party. We are both

Customer Question

I was punched in the face last night at a party. We are both over 21 and intoxicated. There were many witnesses around who will back what I say up that he had no reason for it. He simply sucker punched me in the face and left the party. I have no injuries other than a sore face. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

First, you can report the matter to the local police and have them press criminal charges for assault and battery. That is probably your best recourse. Assuming this other guy can't prove that he was acting in self defense, you can also sue in civil court for damages. The problem with a civil suit is that if you do not have any significant injuries then you really don't have any damages. Civil lawsuits aren't to "punish" the defendant but rather to compensate for actual losses sustained, and without any losses aside from soreness, you really don't have much to recover. Just "pain and suffering" for the sore face.

Still, even with minimal damages you may wish to consider pursuing a claim against him in small claims court, where the costs of litigation are much lower and the procedure vastly simplified. You will just be limited in the total amount of your recovery, but that limitations probably won't be an issue because you wouldn't stand to recover much without a serious injury anyway.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.