How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Personal Injury Law
Satisfied Customers: 31590
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Personal Injury Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'd like to ask if I have a legitimate lawsuit against my

Customer Question

I'd like to ask if I have a legitimate lawsuit against my college professor. I was in class and this professor made fun of my disability in front of the class. I had informed her of my disability at the beginning of the year with my doctor's letter. She pointed at my disability and poked fun at me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

You possibly have a lawsuit against the college and the individual professor for intentional infliction of emotional distress (against the teacher) and negligence (against the college). Of course, in situations like this, you have to prove damages or that you were actually emotionally distressed by the situation......which means you'd need to see a mental health professional in order for him/her to diagnose you with a condition related to the treatment handed down by the teacher. If you can do that, you should have the basis for a case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see a psychiatrist already. He is the one who filled my disability form that I gave her.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok. In that case, you just need to make sure that you can establish that this professor's comments led to documented emotional distress. If you can do that, then you have the basis for a claim.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did text my mother right after class telling her I was very distressed.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

The key is documenting the emotional distress as that's how your damages would be established.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did text my friend who also has a disability and told her exactly what the professor has said.
I feel very uncomfortable, embarrassed and distressed. I need to continue this class in order to transfer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I keep a record of my text messages with the time stamp?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If you want to pursue a lawsuit, you should talk to your parents and then consider speaking to a local attorney about filing an action against the professor and college.

Also, yes, keep meticulous notes and proof of her actions and how it has affected you because that's going to be a very big issue when it comes to establishing damages.

Related Personal Injury Law Questions