Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

I signed an agreement on the mediation with contingency on

Customer Question

I signed an agreement on the mediation with contingency on the insurance settlement numbers and I signed the minimum amount that I should take but I feel I was ripped off by my attorney and the mediator can I back out on the agreement?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Once you sign an agreement that is a binding contract, UNLESS the contingency does not occur, since you say you had a contingency on insurance settlement numbers. In order to back out of the agreement, you have to prove the agreement was somehow breached or that it was obtained by some fraud, which you have to prove occurred. If you believe you just did not get a good deal, but you signed it, then that is not sufficient. You have to prove how your attorney "ripped you off" in order to void the agreement based on that fraud.

Also, just be aware that if you back out of the agreement, the attorney is likely to withdraw from your case and place a lien on the judgment for his fees, which means that you could not collect until you pay him and it also makes it very difficult to find any other attorney to take the case.

However, if you can prove some type of fraud in getting you to sign, then that is a legal basis to void the agreement.