richanne96
richanne96, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in private practice in Phoenix, AZ
69015496

I am proceeding pro se in a family law case in California.

Customer Question

I am proceeding pro se in a family law case in California. However, I have made it clear that before I sign any stipulations or documents, I want a lawyer's review. Late Friday afternoon (September 5th) , opposing counsel sent a stipulation I had never seen before or negotiated, and demanded that I sign it by Tuesday (Sep 8th, the day after a labor day holiday) or he would sue me and seek attorneys fees. In my opinion, with this threat he is preventing me from hiring a lawyer to review the stipulation. Is this a violation of ethical rules lawyers have to pro se litigants? What can I do about this?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  richanne96 replied 1 year ago.

I do not understand how he has any basis for suing you over your refusal to sign a stipulation over the holiday weekend. Has he got some other claim against you that he is holding over you to make you act the way he wants?