Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

In VA I was involved in a traffic accident, didn't know my

Customer Question

In VA I was involved in a traffic accident, didn't know my insurance had been cancelled 6 days earlier. I was charged with following too close, causing an accident. The other vehicle driver had GIECO insurance. I have not been to court yet, can still pay the $91 ticket. GEICO turned over a $9K claim to a collection agency. I live on Social Security, $970 a month, have no fixed address or other assets, any type of credit, or consistent income. I have new car insurance, double what I was paying. Assuming I pay the ticket, admitting fault, can not being able to pay the insurance now, or even getting them to accept a $30 monthly repayment schedule result in my VA license being suspended until the subrogation amount is satisfied? If I can't drive I can't make any 'side money' to service any payback plan. I could do a self-bankruptcy, but am not too keen on that.
Category: Personal Injury Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant : consistent additional income. I sometimes get odd jobs, off of Craigslist, depending on my energy level.
I meant: I acquired insurance from a different carrier, for a car I've been loaned to drive, but I don't own the car.
I meant: not being able to pay the insurance collection agency claim now
Also: the collection agency has offered to settle for a lesser amount, but I don't know the details. However, even 10 cents on the dollar would take three years to pay.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, this is a penalty when a person has no insurance. The other insurer has a legal right to pursue you for whatever money they have to pay their insured for damage you caused. If you do not carry insurance on your current car, you will lose your license and VA will not only suspend your license, but will make you get more expensive SR 22 high risk insurance to reinstate your license.

As far as the accident, it is up to GEICO to report it to DMV for suspension for non-payment and you can negotiate a deal with them to agree to take a reasonable payment plan and agree to not report to DMV and if they do not report to DMV then your license would not be suspended as long as you continue to make the payments to GEICO. If you miss a payment they will report it to DMV and then your license would be suspended.

You would then have to go through the bankruptcy you want to avoid to get the debt extinguished.