Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor
26798026

If there are multiple lawsuits that are filed from various

Customer Question

If there are multiple lawsuits that are filed from various people involved in an accident, and one person's lawsuit gets completed before the other one, does the outcome of the one that goes first in any way affect the other either positively or negatively?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
It depends on how the case is resolved. If it settles, probably not, because statements used as part of a settlement cannot be used against the person later. If the person who caused the accident takes the stand and testifies, it's possible that testimony could help the parties in the other case when they have their trial. And it's possible that someone who gets a judgment sooner will be able to start collecting sooner, which could reduce the assets available to pay everyone else.
If the same issues are present in all of the cases, any one party can move to consolidate all of the cases into one. That's good because it means no one gets a judgment to start collecting earlier, but it also means you have 1 judge making 1 decision, and there's no risk of inconsistent verdicts. Plus, it conserves judicial time and resources, so (in theory) everyone's case could be resolved sooner. And multiple plaintiffs may be able to work together on things like jury instructions and other trial preparation.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.