Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

I am a teacher in CA, i have diabetes, and sciatic nerve

Customer Question

I am a teacher in CA, i have diabetes, and sciatic nerve pain. Have thought of using marijuana to see if it will settle this down. But do like teaching, and am not ready to retire. Can I safely take marijuana and not risk my position?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, while medical marijuana use is legal in CA, if you are drug tested and come up positive, you can still be terminated for failure of the drug test, even though you may have a legal medical marijuana prescription or card. The reason for this is because it is still against federal law and the employer can terminate the employee because of it still being against federal law. The CA courts have upheld these terminations as legal.