Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney. Over 20 years experience in personal injury and law enforcement.
10285032

I found a web page with an unflattering post about me, as

Customer Question

I found a web page with an unflattering post about me, as well as a photo that I didn't even knew existed. Is there anyway to have them delete this post from the Internet? Do I have any rights as to defamation of character? I was appalled to see this, can anyone just write up stories and put the on the Internet about anyone they choose? I didn't even know this existed. Do I have any rights as a private citizen, at least provide the publisher with a cease and desist. Thank you
Jeffrey XXXXXX
USN retired DAV
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Can you please provide me with more details about the nature of the photo and the nature of the information posted about you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if the other message went through, let me proof write this first it's a bizarre story that actually put me on psycotrofic medications, I'm still under care, the paper that originally aired this removed it when they found that I was correct, it was a viscous attack by those I respected deeply. The photo isn't horrible, but again I was told it was destroyed, it was never published and I have no idea how they even got this, I need about 24 hours to write this down as briefly as I can. Thank you, ***** ***** I understand anyone can write anything they wish and put it on the Internet, do private citizens have rights?
Thank you for your follow up.
Was information posted correct and true?
How was the photo obtained?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The story as posted is not 100% correct, it's partially correct, I am trying to be impartial and not speak jaded, but the original author "emblished" the story, I am not sure if she didn't understand what we were taking about, which does happen if a military member is trying to tell a civilian something, or just did it in an effort to make a better story for the paper, within days of being originally being published I had the local paper "take it down" from their web page because of the errors in the story, they quickly did this after a very productive meeting with the lead editor of the paper. The photos taken by the paper at the time were not used in their article, when I had the original story taken down the editor informed me he would destroy all photos as well, I have no idea how this photo was released, I never even saw it till the other day. This is where I was attacked and a group of people (the Cole association) they then contacted another Virginia paper and wrote an attack story about me and even published my DD214 discharge papers from the Armed Forces, my understanding this isn't public information, the freedom of information act does allow its release but not for this reason if I understand correctly. The story they fabricated cased NCIS to then investigate me, of which I was cleared of all accusations, but alas this was too late for the most unflattering article to be published virtually destroying my professional reputation. All this because I donated an American flag, that flew above the USS Cole on the return from Yemen, to a little museum in Delaware and upon the request of the museum at a public unveiling of the building the Army donated it to them, I publicly read the plaque at the base of the USS Cole memorial that pays tribute to the crew. I was a crew member flown in 2 days after the bombing while the ship sat dark at the pier in Yemen and aided in the recovery of the ship. I served as the Engineering Leading Chief Petty Officer in those next 3 weeks in Yemen, I had 2 of 3 generator running, restored AC to vital areas, water and sewage restored even installed fire fighting systems online and had a Main Engine available without the DMS system (NAVSES engineer say this is impossible) using just the crew of the ship that could help (a great deal mentally checked out) and a lot of motivation. I for years would never take credit, but now after 5 years of theraphy and heavy medications will now say, I did a great deal for which I never received credit, and the attack leased on me is unwarranted, what they put me and my family through is just horrible. All I am looking for at a minimum is just to have those web page (s) take down, the photo I really don't care about but was amazed, I had never even see them before, I remember them being taken, but at the time they told me the camera was broken and they didn't even exist. So someone lied here to me as well, do I have any legal rights about my life? I do suffer from Bi-Polar disorder and PTSD as well, I actually broke my back on Cole as well while in Yemen (after the bombing) and had to have a 5 level spinal fusion upon return to the United States.
Unfortunately, I don't think I am able to answer your question, so I will opt-out of your question at not charge to you and will open your question to other JustAnswer.com legal professionals.
I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** figured I have no rights the government really need to hold people accountable for what the makeup and place on the Internet.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a different contributor.
Your DD214 is not public record unless it was included in some other documents or court records that are public records. If the government released a public record without proper authorization you could sue the government for improperly releasing the record to the public.
Furthermore, if someone has made known false statements about you or have published false information that portrays you in a false light in the community, then you have a basis to sue the individual for defamation (libel is the written form of defamation) and also for the common law tort of false light and seek damages. As part of your suit, you can seek an injunction from the court to order them to remove the post.
That is the recourse you have based on what you have stated.