TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

A contract is entered into by 3 people. If 1 of them

Customer Question

A contract is entered into by 3 people. If 1 of them accidentally or negligently kills the other, does the 3rd person have legal standing to sue the killer for interference with a contract, or wrongful death? How about if an outside party had caused the
death of one of the 3 people in a contract, can the outside party be sued by the remaining 2 people in a contract for interference with a contract, negligence, and wrongful death? Lastly, what other claims can be possibly made under such lawsuit?
Category: Personal Injury Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. No, what you describe would not be tortious interference with a contract. One of the basic requirements for that tort is that the person acts purposely to interfere with the contract. In other words, if the person killed the victim on purpose in order to interfere with the contract, then the answer may be that there was a viable case. But in your scenario, the death was the result of an accident or negligence (neither of which is purposeful). Certainly, there would be no cause for wrongful death, unless the person suing were the spouse or parent or child of the victim.Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.